Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Healthy & Safe Snacking, Everything-Free

There is a huge pressure in our society right now to feed our children organic, GMO-free, sugar-free, vitamin rich, super power foods. But moms of kids with food allergies have even more pressure, we worry about all that AND nut-free, egg-free, gluten-free, dairy-free. We can't give our kids most of the suggestions that the magazines and blogs suggest like nuts, hard boiled eggs, trail mixes, protein bars, peanut and almond butter, etc.

As I have blogged about before, my daughters get migraines. They get migraines from a few different triggers but one of the biggest is unhealthy snacking. If they have nitrates, too many processed carbs, not enough protein, too much sugar, or not enough water it is a guaranteed migraine for one or both of them. So in addition to wanting to feed my kids healthy snacks, I have to.

Sunbutter- It is way better than Soy Butter. It is made from sunflower seeds and it amazing, I swear.  Put Sunbutter in smoothies, on bread, on waffles, on apples, or with bananas.

Cherrybrook Kitchen Chocolate Cake mix- This mix is gluten-free, egg-free, nut-free, and dairy-free. It is easy and actually really good. My tip, undercook cupcakes by about a minute or two and the inside is a bit gooey like lava cake.

Orgain Healthy Kids Protein drinks- They are an awesome protein on the go choice. They are good for lunch boxes or road trips, or something the kids can help themselves to in the fridge.

GoGo Squeeze Apple Sauce- I keep these in my fridge, car, bag, and even at my office. They are a really easy quick small snack to hold you or your kids over til the next meal. I also put these in their lunch boxes.

Lucy's Snack n' Go Packs- These are everything-free cookies that are perfect to send to school or parties when your kids are allergic to the treats being served. They are wrapped in small portions, just three small cookies. Ever been at a park play date and someone shows up with donuts or cookies to be nice, but your kid ends up crying because they can't share?

Enjoy Life Coco Loco bars- This is my version of the granola bar. I won't say it is filled with all the vitamins your kids need but it is Safe and Easy!

Club Soda- I grew up with a soda machine built into my kitchen. It didn't kill me but I still won't let me kids drink it. So club soda is a great treat for them when they want a "soda" instead of water.

Yogurt, Granola, & Honey- Instead of sugary fruity yogurts, I send my kids to school with the small plain greek yogurt, a side of nut-free granola, and a small packet of honey.


No comments: