Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Baked Ziti, Gluten-Free


Back to school. I have been longing for this day for weeks. I was dying for a good routine, kids busy all day with mind enhancing activities, and my personal life getting back on track. I guess I set my standards too high, cause so far this week has been a spiritual let down. Nothing bad happened, in fact, it has been all good. Kids love going to school, love their teachers and friends, no tears, no clothing or hair meltdowns. The let down is all me. I am not good with transition and never have been. My mom said I cried every Sunday night. The simple transition from weekend to week was even hard for me. In the eight years since I have been a mother I always have a hard time during the 2 week winter break, the beginning of summer, and the beginning of school.

Anyways, I needed some comfort food this week. I need a good old fashion pig out night and a dinner no one would whine about. I needed an easy, yummy, kid friendly dish. BAKED ZITI. I pulled it together at the last minute with whatever was left in the fridge.

First, I sauteed ground white turkey meat. Then threw it in the crock pot.
Second, I sauteed a bag of broccoli slaw in some olive oil. Then threw it in the crock pot.
Third, I added a jar of Mario Batali sauce to the crock pot with salt and pepper.

I let that cook for 3 hours. Then I made Jovial Gluten Free Pasta. I added pasta, sauce, and shredded mozzarella cheese in a lasagna pan and baked at 350 for 15 minutes. Voila! Gluten-Free Baked Ziti. It totally hit the spot. The whole family liked it and in case you are wondering, the kids did not notice the broccoli slaw. In the 3 hours it disappeared into the sauce.

My side dish was a simple salad with cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, and mini fresh mozzarella balls with a balsamic, olive oil, and dijon dressing.

What I thought would be high fives and jumping for joy turned out to be an unexpected case of the back-to-school-blues. Nothing a few days and a good baked ziti won't fix.

No comments: