Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

New Year's Resolution

L'Shana Tova to my fellow Jews.

Why does it feel like every year for the last 7 years I have had the same New Year's Resolution?... Stop Losing My Temper!

I lay awake almost every night or fear almost every day that something bad will happen to my children. It is my biggest fear in the whole world. I worry about their allergies constantly. I can't even go on Facebook lately because people continuously post the same story of the little girl who lost her life to a peanut allergy. It is my worst nightmare come true for another family. And just the headline of the article sends me into a deep dark hole of worry. I am constantly baking and cooking trying to make my kids happy, safe, and "like everyone else" at school and parties. I volunteer as much as possible at the school to keep an extra eye on my kids, make sure there was no food brought in that I missed, or any random hives on their faces. I am constantly shopping for food that is new and exciting for them. I bought them croissants yesterday just because I could, no eggs-who knew!

So I spend my whole life worrying about and trying to make my kids healthy and happy. Why is it I lose my temper at them almost daily?!?! It is devastating. As a trained therapist I KNOW that it is harder to raise kids well. I know it is easier to spoil kids and always say yes. I know kids who never have limits end up handicapped and almost always can't function in the real world. I know when I fight over bed time or bad behavior or homework or manners that I am doing the right thing but it is so painful!! I am sick of having to make my resolution to stop losing my temper.

So today I am setting my resolution to Lose My Temper Less. Never is unrealistic, but less is doable. I also pray for a happy, healthy, and safe New Year for my family and yours.

No comments: