Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Beware of the bars...

Beware of the bars...the serve yourself ice cream bars. They are a huge craze right now, serve yourself ice cream and toppings. Yes, I agree it is a great concept and fun for all people who do not have food allergies. But for those of us who live in fear of "cross contamination" they are a nightmare. Most children will use the same spoon to serve the sprinkles that they used to serve the nuts. And in a whirlwind of excitement the stuff goes flying.

Here is my trick. Get your ice cream, or sorbet for those who cannot eat dairy, and ask the employees to bring you toppings from the back. Tell them you or your child has food allergies and you prefer the toppings from the original package. I have never been refused.

Another cross contamination nightmare is the meat department at grocery stores, even the beloved Whole Foods. Just yesterday I went to order Garden Turkey Burgers at The Fresh Market. I was tired and in a rush. But at the last moment, as the guy was reaching thru the cabinet, I realized they were next to the Macadamia Nut Chicken Cutlets. And yes, of course, the nut/breading was overflowing into the burgers. Do your best to see what is near, not just next to, the meat you are buying. I walked to the other end of the cabinet and picked a different meat. This happened to me at Whole Foods a while ago too. I was so excited to find lamb meatballs that did not have egg or breading and started to order them but thank God realized they were next to a sesame marinaded skewer. It is much safer to either ask the employee to please get you fresh meat from the back or head over to the other side of the meat department.

And lastly, buffets are a danger zone. Once again, if you must eat at a buffet, ask to speak with the chef or manager and get food fresh from the back. Remember, servers are not always educated on allergies. Talking to a chef or manager is usually better, but trust your gut. I had someone tell me this week that the rice wasn't gluten-free because there was chicken in it.

Beware but enjoy :)


No comments: