Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

I always joke that "I should start a blog"

I always joke that "I should start a blog". I am not a writer or blogger or chef or nutritionist or even computer literate. I am a mom of 3 kids with allergies. I spent the last 7 years researching, cooking, experimenting, shopping, and dining with allergies in mind. I always felt it would be easier for someone else if I just wrote about all the recipes, restaurants, brands that I found over the years, if I started a blog.

My twin girls, Ava and Emma, were diagnosed with food allergies around their first birthday. They immediately got hives when it was time to start introducing foods. The girls were breast fed and at 10 months when I introduced formula Emma was covered in hives. At a first birthday party Ava left covered in hives after eating the cake. Macaroni salad, hives. Hummus, hives. And this continued until their first check up when I casually mentioned it to their doctor like it was no big deal. She, of course, referred me to an allergist and blood work. I was SHOCKED when the doctor told me my girls were allergic to dogs, nuts, eggs, milk, sesame, and a little bit to everything else. He told me to get rid of my dog and change their entire diet. I cried and never went back to him. I ended up at my brother's childhood allergist who told me I can keep the dog but yes, my girls were "Very Allergic".

Four and half years later when my son, Vince, was born full term and a singleton I was sure he would be allergy free. But around the same age the pattern started again. Eggs, hives. Sesame roll, hives. hummus, hives. And we went back to the allergist to hear the same thing...You and your husband make "Very Allergic" kids.

So here I am. Not a writer or blogger or chef or nutritionist or even computer literate but I am going to give blogging a shot.

2 comments:

Sustenance Scout said...

Hi Dani, Just discovered your blog and am wondering if you're on facebook, twitter, pinterest? You are TOO a writer and a very funny one! My daughter's diet is suddenly gluten-free so I appreciate all your great easy recipes and your fun comments along the way. Cheers from Denver, Karen DeGroot Carter

Unknown said...

Yes, I am on Facebook (The Everything-Free Mommy). And thank you so much. I am glad you found me.