Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Meatballs, egg-free and gluten-free

I have a habit of looking at ingredients in a dish even when I am pretty sure we can't have it. But while strolling the Whole Foods in Boulder, CO I spotted a meatball dish in the hot food section. Although there were about 20 items in the meatballs there was no egg and no bread crumbs. It looked strange, there were olives, fennel, feta cheese, garlic, and a whole bunch of other things I do not remember. But I bought them and loved them. So when I returned home I went out and bought what I remembered and tried to recreate the Colorado Meatballs (which is what I call them now). After a few times I think I have figured out an easy, delicious, egg-free, gluten-free meatball.

Like I have mentioned, I am not a chef. I NEVER make the same thing twice. It always tastes different. However, I will give my best version of a recipe:

2 lbs of ground beef
1 can of chopped olives
1 package of feta cheese
2 tbsp of minced garlic
2 tbsp of chopped fennel (which I almost always forget at the store)
1 jar of GF tomato sauce, which most are.
salt & pepper

I mix the olives, feta, garlic, fennel, salt, & pepper in a bowl making sure the feta is in as small of pieces as possible. Then I add the beef and mix as well as I can. Then I put the jar of sauce in a big pot and turn the stove on low. I make mini meatballs and add them to the heating sauce. Cook about 30 minutes.

I like to eat them with the Ancient Harvest Quinoa spaghetti. I also make them as an appetizer when people are coming over and serve them with tooth picks.

Enjoy!!

No comments: