Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

Things to watch out for

About two years ago I thought it would be fun to plant seeds in the backyard with the girls. Of course, it didn't go so easily. As I opened the "wildflower seed pouch" (from Target) a gust of wind came and blew it past Ava. Within seconds she was sneezing out of control, had hives on her face, and started talking like she just sucked the air out of a balloon. After a bath and double dose of benadryl she was better. I looked at the packet multiple times and could not figure out what she was allergic to. So I put it in a ziploc and saved it. Thought maybe it was a flower I would later discover she was allergic to. I swear a few weeks ago I took the packet out and at the bottom, no where near the ingredients, said "Contains peanut shells". WHAT!!?? In Wildflower seeds!!?? I swear, when I let my guard down we have a close call. Sometimes I think people think I am insane. Like I want my kid to be sick. Like I want to be a pain in the ass in every restaurant, every party, every school function. But then in an activity that has nothing to do with food we have an incident.

Last month Ava, yes she seems to be my most allergic kid, was waking up every day with one of two hives on her face. I had no clue why. But then one morning it was multiple hives. Was it the sheets? The new conditioner? I took both away and the next night I was hanging out with her while she showered and right in front of me as she washed her hair, with the SAME SHAMPOO she had been using for a year, she broke out all over her forehead! Shampoo, lotion, soap, sunscreen...these things all may contain things you or your kids are allergic to. I almost bought a shampoo today for Ava and at the last minute checked the ingredients and it had almond oil! This is only a few weeks after she had hives from a shampoo. We ALWAYS have to "be on" when our kids have allergies. It is our job.

So this blog is about things I learned the hard way...

Bread crumbs usually have egg and sesame seeds.

Chick Filet uses peanut oil!

5 Guys uses peanut oil and has peanuts everywhere

Marinades frequently have sesame oil. Publix Mojo rotisserie chicken has it.

Head & Shoulders extra dry scalp is made with Almond Oil.

Egg beaters are made out of eggs.

Publix bread (used in party platters) usually has egg.

Many hamburger and hot dog buns have sesame seeds.

Publix cake (or Target, Costco, etc.) use an extremely large amount of egg whites.

Haagen daz ice cream has egg yolk.

Dunkin Donuts donuts have egg yolk.

Hummus is made with sesame oil.

I didn't even know until my kids had allergies that mayonnaise  is made from egg.

Babysitters, waiters, teachers, etc do not always understand allergies. Be VERY specific. Tell them to ALWAYS call you if anything is "weird". I had a babysitter give Emma three baths because her "butt felt itchy" and "tongue felt funny". She did not call and when I texted her "is everything ok?" she wrote back "yes". She didn't want to bother us. Turns out she let Emma have a bite of her granola bar. When I checked on Emma that night her ears were swollen and whole body was bright red. I now always remind people that I want them to call if ANYTHING seems unusual. BTW I love that babysitter and still use her. I figured she will never feed my kids anything without asking again. She texts a picture before letting my kids eat anything.








No comments: