Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

In addition to food allergies...

For those of you with food allergies, or kids with food allergies, you know that they usually do not present alone. Eczema, headaches, sensitive skin, asthma, sinus problems... Today was one of those days where the "in additions" took over.

Vince, who is allergic to bee stings, was attacked by wasps and stung twice. With in seconds I was in a complete panic shoving benadryl down his throat and spraying him with benadryl mist (I carry a mini one in my bag. I haven't discussed the pharmacy I carry with me at all times...benadryl spray, neosporin spray, children's benadryl, children's advil, children's tylenol, children's allegra, cottonelle wipes, etc.) No one around me was even worried, which I could not understand until later...they may not know anyone allergic to stings.

After Vince calmed down, Ava came home with a migraine. She gets them frequently. We are still trying to figure out why. Most likely, genetics. Will and I both got childhood migraines. As did both of our dads, his mom, my grandma. There is a 90% chance our kids will get them with that history. However, they upset me every single time. I always get agitated, nervous, google all night long, call the doctor, and lose sleep. I know nitrates have a huge part in them. We have cut out hot dogs, salami, and ham. I also know lack of protein, dehydration, lack of sleep, sinus problems, and change in routine can lead to one. So on a perfect day, she has her nose spray, eats three well balanced healthy meals, drinks lots of water, sleeps 12 hours, and has no stress. But of course, that isn't always the case.

Last year, Ava suffered severely with sinus problems and headaches. She spent the entire school year "sick". I went in her room every morning to find PILES of tissues under her bed. When I picked her up at school she had white rings around her nostrils from a foamy white mucus bubbling out of her nose. Her migraines increased to 2-3 times a week. Antibiotics, ENT, Neurologist, Allergist, Pediatrician...no answers. I finally decided in April, yes me, no one else thought of it, to have her allergy tested for environmental allergies (with all the food testing, we never checked for environment).

She test came back positive to everything but severely to mold and dust. I must say I was surprised. I expected pollen or trees or something else, but not dust and mold. I got a print out from the allergist about what I could do in the house. Take away stuffed animals, rugs, curtains, anything fabric. Wash clothes and linens in warm water every week. Keep AC between 73 and 76 degrees. Buy special mattress and pillow covers. Never leave windows open, "airing out the house" is a myth and actually brings in more dust and mold spores. We even had the AC cleaned and special filters and lights put in. And then we waited....but she did not get any better.

With a few weeks left of school it occurred to me that it could be the school. As fabulous as the school was, the building was old and dirty. I knew that and it never bothered me. I think I used to say it was "cute" and reminded me of where I went to elementary school. But after sending the school board out, three times, I discovered it could be the school. They would not test for mold but there is no doubting that dust was a big problem and mold isn't out of the question. This is referred to as a "sick building". It may not affect 98% of the people in it but Ava is not in that category. Kids in these sort of buildings can get sick more, have behavior problems, get migraines, sleep worse, have asthma, etc. Sure enough, a few weeks into summer her symptoms almost completely disappeared. She is now in a new school and doing well. She even received an award first semester for No Absences! Of course, she still has allergies but she isn't suffering daily like before.

In addition to food allergies, parents of allergic children usually have other things that come up. Tonight I needed a little extra writing therapy as I felt overwhelmed by these "in additions". Thanks for reading, supporting me, and keeping me motivated to write about my journey as a mom of three kids with allergies.

No comments: